Is My Social Security Taxable?

If you receive Social Security benefits, you may have to pay federal income tax on part of your benefits. We can help you determine whether or not you need to pay taxes on your benefits.

• Form SSA-1099.  If you received Social Security in 2015, you should receive a Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, showing the amount of your benefits.  If you received social security disability, you will also receive a form SSA-1099.  Supplemental security income (SSI) is not taxable, and you will not receive a form.

• Only Social Security.  If Social Security was your only income in 2015, your benefits may not be taxable. You also may not need to file a federal income tax return. If you get income from other sources you may have to pay taxes on some of your benefits.

• Tax Formula.  Here’s a quick way to find out if you must pay taxes on your Social Security benefits: Add one-half of your Social Security to all your other income, including tax-exempt interest. Then compare the total to the base amount for your filing status. If your total is more than the base amount, some of your benefits may be taxable.

• Base Amounts.  The three base amounts are:

o $25,000 – if you are single, head of household, qualifying widow or widower with a dependent child or married filing separately and lived apart from your spouse for all of 2014

o $32,000 – if you are married filing jointly

o $0 – if you are married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the year

People receiving social security payments want to be extra careful about planning ahead for taxes.  Give us a call today to schedule your free tax planning session!